- The mobile telecoms industry earned 725 Billion dollars last year.(2006)
- Mobile telecom growth in dollar terms, from 2005 to 2006, was 105 billion dollars.
- During 2007 the first cross-over from PC to Mobile phones will happen, with more users accessing via phone than PC.
- Phones are replaced every 18 months (and this is still shrinking)
- USA has reached 75% penetration for mobile phones
- The Western European average per capita penetration for mobile phones is already 110%
- Italy, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Israel have penetration rates at about 140%
- China adds 6 million phones every month, India adds 7 million phones every month.
Norway, Denmark and Portugal - each countries with 120% or more
penetration rates - Mobilephones are less than 6 million units total.
- SMS Messaging Is Biggest Data App On Planet
- E-mail is opened in 24 hours and replied to in 48 hours.
- SMS is read within 15 minutes on average and responded within 60 minutes.
- 65% of e-mail is spam, less than 10% of SMS is spam.
- In South Korea five separate credit card services are available on the three mobile networks
South Korea almost 100% of credit card based point-of-purchase sites
accept payment via mobile phone credit (and charge) cards
- Two years from launch almost 10% of South Korean phone users watch digital broadcast TV on their phones
- The Pop Idol formats have earned a windfall of over 700 million dollars out of text messaging votes
- In 2005 already half of all phones sold were cameraphones so cameraphones outsell digital cameras by more than 4 to 1 .
- 73% of the population now uses the mobile phone as their portable clock.
- 2.7 Billion phones in active use. There is a subscription for 40% of the planet's population.
- Global music industry earns 16% of its revenues from mobile phones (mostly ringing tones);
- Videogaming earns 14% of its global revenues from mobile.